19894[John Muir Trail] Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • charliepolecat
    Jan 5, 2012
      It's harder to recognise under-hydration (de-hydration) whilst hiking
      than it is when ultra-cycling. If you are short of fluid when cycling
      you'll notice it pretty quickly when your performance/energy craters -
      otherwise know as the 'bonk'.

      Although hydration is essential for life, I think you can get away with
      cutting back on water intake when hiking without extreme negative
      effects, and since you have to carry the extra fluid that your body
      cannot absorb in your bladder - and on your knees - it is probably wise
      to do so.

      There are some who propose training your body to not give in to water
      craving - I know I drink more when I am 'feeling' thirsty, which I
      acknowledge is not the same as 'being' thirsty. But other than the color
      of the pee test that John mentions, there are few ways for a hiker to
      know when he/she is taking in enough.

      I have basically given up on the camelbak and prefer to use clear
      bottles, where I can see the amount of water taken and and how much is
      left. As a cyclist, I stick fairly strictly to the 26 ounces per hour
      intake guidline, which seems to serve me well.

      Each person has to find out what their own bodies' water needs are with
      practice - no one can tell you how much you should drink.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic