19863Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • John
    Jan 3, 2012
      Herb, good point re: taking water off the surface of calm lakes, I've just never been able to bring myself to do it (at least not along busy trails).

      Good point John brings up "cameling vs bottling". In the Sierra I very rarely find it necessary to carry more than 24oz in my pack OR my stomach. There is for the most part, ample watering holes to dip from.

      Having said that, I'm also probably chronically dehydrated, which can/has lead to other short term and long term issues.

      If it doesn't snow this winter we may all being carrying water in more places than the JMT. BTW, I was up in TM today; 56 degrees F at 2:00.

      I'm thirsty...

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

      > On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Herb <hstroh@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > ... At trusted water sources we also "camel up" by drinking extra.
      > >
      > > I agree with most of what Herb and others have said but have 2 comments
      >
      > 1) If you carry chemical purification anyway and don't mind the taste (I
      > don't) why not just treat routinely. If you mix the 2-part Aqua Mira into
      > a third small bottle each morning, it is super-easy to just add 14 drops to
      > each liter of water and then totally not have to worry. I will
      > occasionally drink it straight (the taste can be a treat) but usually just
      > treat on the theory that a little effort removes the small hazard.
      >
      > 2) Most of the hiking community seems to believe in cameling up. But an
      > extra liter of water in your stomach (beyond the water your body needs in
      > the next hour or so) weighs the same as a liter of water in your pack and
      > your body will use the same energy to carry it whether in your stomach or
      > in the pack. Water in a bottle is more multi-use than water in your
      > stomach because (1) you can ration it if it turns out to be a longer-than
      > anticipated dry stretch; (2) if you are hiking with a friend, the more
      > thirsty person can use it; (3) if you need to irrigate a cut from a fall,
      > it's available to you; and (4) you avoid any risk of excess water toxicity,
      > though admittedly most people who camel up don't do so to the point of
      > causing a danger of toxicity. I noticed that the Army's mountaineering
      > training manual discourages over-drinking, though they don't explain why
      > (beyond water toxicity).
      >
      > John

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic