19862Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Jan 3, 2012
      If I camel up I end up watering the bushes sooner rather than later.

      Barbara

      On Jan 3, 2012, at 4:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Herb <hstroh@...> wrote:

      ... At trusted water sources we also "camel up" by drinking extra.

      I agree with most of what Herb and others have said but have 2 comments

      1) If you carry chemical purification anyway and don't mind the taste (I don't) why not just treat routinely.  If you mix the 2-part Aqua Mira into a third small bottle each morning, it is super-easy to just add 14 drops to each liter of water and then totally not have to worry.  I will occasionally drink it straight (the taste can be a treat) but usually just treat on the theory that a little effort removes the small hazard.

      2) Most of the hiking community seems to believe in cameling up.  But an extra liter of water in your stomach (beyond the water your body needs in the next hour or so) weighs the same as a liter of water in your pack and your body will use the same energy to carry it whether in your stomach or in the pack.  Water in a bottle is more multi-use than water in your stomach because (1) you can ration it if it turns out to be a longer-than anticipated dry stretch; (2) if you are hiking with a friend, the more thirsty person can use it; (3) if you need to irrigate a cut from a fall, it's available to you; and (4) you avoid any risk of excess water toxicity, though admittedly most people who camel up don't do so to the point of causing a danger of toxicity.  I noticed that the Army's mountaineering training manual discourages over-drinking, though they don't explain why (beyond water toxicity).

      John

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic