19854[John Muir Trail] Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • speedcenter2001
    Jan 3, 2012

      > Peter,
      >
      > Thanks for participating in this thread. What do you think of that .5
      > micron filter I mentioned. I know it is not good enough for bacteria
      > filtering, only the Crypto/Giardia. My dislike of filters for long
      > distance hikes is the times I've seen the filter get so sluggish that even
      > doing field maintenance couldn't get it working well enough to use, or do
      > you have a filter where that is never the case? What filter do you use,
      > what does it weigh?

      funny that you mention "field maintenance" - it is that part that finally got me to ditch filters: I had the fancy $100 MSR Hyperflow, which is great on day one, but by day 3 will only sliggushly move water through the tiny cartridge. So you then follow the complex back flush process, which I did not understand until I watched the youtube video, and even then it didn't always want to pump backwards. What happened then at Mono Creek one day was that the return valve decided to float into Lake Edison, sealing the fate of that Hyperflow (VVR garbage can).

      I haven't used a filter in the Sierra since that day, but I did buy a Hiker Pro at REI last year with my dividend. I have not pumped an ounce of water with it, but it appears much more robust than the Hyperflow, and you don't hear any complaints from uses about the unit plugging up after just a few gallons. The assembly instructions are somewhat flawed, as it will not let you lock the hose to the pump if you use the coupling in the color the instructions tell you to use.

      Weight? 11 ounces dry - so if I swap this for my Spot, my pack weight will stay about the same.

      http://www.rei.com/product/720265/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter

      Back in the 80s, I used a very basic filter, which was essentially a filter with a pump attached to the back of it, and you submerged the filter in the stream or lake. It worked well, never clogged over multiple JMTs, but eventually got replaced by much more complex units in the market. Here's a photo from 1988, a 40% of normal snow year, using it in Mono Creek where in 2010 the water was so deep and dangerous. Early July - with the current snow, this may be the highest the water will ever get in 2012, and low water means you probably will need to filter more

      http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1988/04_J_Muir_Wlderness/slides/JMT_1988__0265.jpg

      The ultra light solution a lot of PCT hikers swear by is to bring a small bottle of chlorine bleach and drip it into a water bag, but chlorine doesn't kill giardia very well - see second answer post on this page quoting Canadian government sources: http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0016xH
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic