19852Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • speedcenter2001
    Jan 3, 2012

      > Gotta say I very rarely treat my water, but I am selective as to
      > where I get it. As I recall, Peter speculated that he got sick from
      > Sunrise Creek.

      the Sunrise Creek guess was based on "incubation time" and my sense for where the most risky water source of the trip was. It could have been anywhere else, as the incubation time is somewhat vague. I do recall feeling somewhat sick around Reds Meadow already, but it remained under control until the end of the trip. I take that as another hint that I got the bug before Reds.

      All that said - a water filter only goes into my pack in late season when water sources are far in between and you can't be picky, plus in late season there's been plenty of opportunity for giardia to be re-introduced. For an early season hike, a few aquamira pills are all I'd pack, and based on my 2010 experience, I probably would use them more frequently than in the past.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic