19846Re: [John Muir Trail] I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

    Jan 2, 2012
      I agree that risks are very low.  I don't carry a filter.  I do carry chemical treatment (Aqua Mira drops) and I use them almost all of the time (obvious spring fed water sources excepted).  Giardia is rate in the Sierra but we do have pack animals on the trail and if you happen to be not far downstream of where they have relieved themselves recently, you could have a problem.  I don't mind the flavor of Aqua Mira and don't find it that much of a hassle to use.

      But hand hygiene (esp if traveling with a group sharing food/cooking/cleaning) is a way bigger problem than giardia and needs way more attention than water treatment.

      On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM, trail2nowhere <trail2nowhere@...> wrote:

      this is for Sierra hiking only. Given that all the research concludes that gardia is pretty much not in the Sierra. I'm thinking the filter is just extra weight and hassle. Last summer I carried one but didn't use it much and had no trouble. I talked top a number of USPS and USFS staff and they all concurred that they personally did not carry a filter.

      Jack

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic