19844Re: I'm seriously considering leaving my water filter at home next summer

  • John
    Jan 2, 2012
      Gotta say I very rarely treat my water, but I am selective as to where I get it. As I recall, Peter speculated that he got sick from Sunrise Creek.

      I avoid drinking down stream from any popular camps, lakes or other popular areas. I pretty much stick to springs and other sources coming from less visited areas (which there are plenty to choose from).

      That system has worked for me for 40+ years; it may or may not work for others.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

      > Some things to consider about purifying or not-purifying water on the JMT.
      >
      > http://www.ridgenet.net/~rockwell/Giardia.pdf
      > Giardia lamblia and Giardiasis
      > With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada
      > By Robert L. Rockwell
      >
      > Great read, thanks to Peter Burke, long time Sierra Hiker and JMT forum
      > member for years (don't know if he still follows posts, hope so).
      >
      > Peter has not purified water and followed the safe rules in the PDF but
      > once he did get sick. He reported on it on this forum. I'm in a rush and
      > can't figure the link yet but here is the posting. See my highlighted
      > paragraph:

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic