19828Re: Naive question - permits North of Yosemite?

  • trail2nowhere
    Jan 2, 2012
      The section between rescue creek and jack man canyon is called the washboards because it goes east-west across the Sierra's north south ridges. The lower altitudes also result in warmer temps. Resupply at Kennedy meadows north (there are 2 Kennedy meadows on the pct). Kennedy meadows north is very backpacker friendly and they will put you up in the bunkhouse for a very fair price if you say you are a pct hiker.

      You will run out of granite about 15 miles before Sonora pass and not see it again until echo summit (your next resupply-echo summit lodge). Without the granite that mean that water goes straight down into the ground and there aren't as many water. This is a dryer section of the trail.

      After echo resupply at donner summit. I think that is the Claire Tappan lodge ran by the Sierra club.

      check out the PCTA website for more details.

      Jack

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@...> wrote:

      > OK, I liked the JMT so much that I want to hike the next section of the PCT, North from Tuolumne. My naive question for the day is - what permits are needed for this section (from Tuolumne, and about 200 miles to the North)? What are your suggestions regarding trip preparation (e.g., caches, resupply, water/insect issues, best time to hike, bear container considerations, etc.)?
      > Thanks, and Happy Solstice to All, Rob of the WV
      >
      > commercial-free, yet now on facebook as:
      >
      > http://www.facebook.com/WildernessVagabond

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic