1979[John Muir Trail] Re: New Stove

  • hmdsierra
    Apr 6, 2008
      I dried fruit and frozen vegetables, french cut green beans. When we
      lived in Bakersfield there was plenty of solar power for drying. Here
      in Oregon is a different story. I made many of my meas from the
      grocery store, Rice & Sauce, Pasta & Sauce. Many of the packages have
      recipes on the box you can use. I would take a can of chicken, ham,
      Spam or corned beef. Corned beef and drie hash browns make a fine
      hash. Potatos Au Gratin with a can of ham is a good meal. Always had
      plenty of bread, bisquit mix realy, of various ingredients, whole
      wheat, cornmeal, oatmeal. We always eat well. My son worked for the
      Forest Service a couple of years ago and made a couple of overnight
      hikes for the job. His companions were impressed with the Rocky Roak
      Pie.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>
      wrote:

      > We're all about eating well, too! We use our jetboil,
      > and bring a little fry pan, too. Here are some good
      > ideas for trail food:
      > http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
      > I even put some recipe links. I'm dehydrating fruit
      > right now for our summer hiking.
      > Claire
      >
      > --- hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > > Sounds like you eat similar to me on the trail, with
      > > the mention of a
      > > frypan. Since I learned how to trail cook I rarely
      > > have any cravings
      > > even on very long trips. I met and spent a few
      > > nights with a couple
      > > guys a few years ago. They were preparing their
      > > freeze dried meal but
      > > looked longingly at my red Beans and Rice. They
      > > also gladly took a
      > > Pop-Tart and some slices of fried Spam. It takes a
      > > bit longer and
      > > requires a bit more cooking equipment and some dish
      > > washing but i eat
      > > well.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com,
      > > <jmaddog1082@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I too am in the process of selecting a lightweight
      > > stove, but I
      > > haven't finalized my decission yet. I narrowed my
      > > search down to two
      > > MSR products: the Pocket Rocket and the Superfly.
      > > While the weights
      > > are close, the Superfly is bulkier which limits
      > > storing it inside a
      > > small cookpot w/ canister. However becasue of the
      > > Superfly's larger
      > > diameter burner, flame distribution is better over
      > > the bottom of the
      > > pot (reducing hot spots in theory) .
      > > >
      > > > I wouldn't consider myself an on-trail gourmet,
      > > but I do like to
      > > prepare more than just boil water. I've learned of
      > > some comparrisons,
      > > but I still haven't arrived at a final choice yet.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone in the forum have experience with
      > > both? Also, is the
      > > focused flame of the PR vs. the broader flame of the
      > > SF really an
      > > issue in such applications as a fry pan?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance for your input,
      > > > John

      > > 3 oz. and does a
      > > great