1961[John Muir Trail] Re: Longest Stretch without Water on JMT

  • clairehiker
    Apr 2 11:10 PM
      -Reading these posts about water reminds me of our trip last year. I can't tell you how
      many people told us there was NO WATER at Sunrise Camp. ( And that you will have to go
      to Cathedral Lake before you find ANY.) There was ample water along the way, and a
      pretty little stream going right through the backpacker's camp at Sunrise. And it was
      August, after a low snowfall year. We met some backpacker's who told us, NO WATER, and
      they must have seen a little stream right next to the trail. Now, maybe they were looking
      for huge rivers to drink out of, but if you have a stream and a water filter, no worries! I
      think the only time we were thirsty is when we climbed Half Dome, because we only
      brought 1.5 liter each from our camp near the junction of JMT and Cloud's Rest trail.
      -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, yountvlmom@... wrote:

      > Those weather changes make the Sierras so beautiful. We hiked the High
      > Sierra Trail last August and one half hour after laying on a beach at a mountain
      > lake we were in a hail storm!
      >
      > Darlene
      >

      > In a message dated 3/27/2008 11:09:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > dwmcguire@... writes:
      >
      > I had the exact same experience hiking that section of trail in 2005. It was
      > a cold, rainy morning and my mood was matching the general gloom. The
      > temperature was hovering right above freezing and I had just convinced
      > myself that it was going to start snowing soon. Suddenly, the clouds started
      > breaking up, Cascade Valley kept peeking out, and sun started streaming in.
      > In the course of ½ an hour I went from being a damp, dumpy plodder through
      > the woods to an elated, joyful thru hiker taking a stunning view…
      >

      > Gotta love those weather changes!
      >

      > Scooter

      action=detail&PostNum=21994&Thread=1&roomID=31&entryID=78994
      > > > Lisa
      > > >

      > > > Plenty of water
      > > > The longest stretch without a reliable water source is roughly 5ish
      > > miles
      > > > between Deer Creek and Duck Creek. Otherwise, there will be plenty
      > > of water
      > > > sources along the trail.
      > > > 8/14/07 5:01 PM
      > > > report to moderator