19238Re: Whitney, WAG Bags and the Rules

  • Mark Schultz
    Oct 1, 2011
      Got news for everyone on this one, there is no Forest Order mandating wag bags, so there are no official rules. I've been looking into this carefully because I was appalled at seeing so many full bags littering the trail this summer.

      What I've learned is that the NEPA environmental process was never completed to implement this wag bag alternative. The original plan was to replace the broken old toilets back in 2001-2004. Toilets were in use at the 2 camping areas since the 1960's, but the design was faulty and they needed to be replaced. It appears that a few well-intended zealous individuals (some are gone now) hijacked the environmental assessment process in order to spread this wag bag idea, the concept being that you should take responsibility for your human waste in the wilderness. Great idea in a perfect world, but that means carrying it up and down the trail for miles, and not all 20,000 hikers per year will comply. That's just human nature.

      Sorry ladies and gentlemen, privacy is hard to find when you do your doodoo duty, and there could be up to 200 people somewhere along the trail with you. You will probably see some of these plastic bags full of crap littering the trail, so watch your step.

      For more info, check out this thread:

      http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/18206/Solar_Toilets_vs_Carry\
      ing_Wag_#Post18206

      THIS IS AN EDITED RE-POST. PLEASE IGNORE OR DELETE ANY PREVIOUS EMAIL VERSION YOU MAY HAVE RECEIVED. SORRY.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

      > Good day,
      >
      > Can anyone direct me to an official webpage that describes where the WAG-bag
      > "zone" begins on the western side? Is it above a certain elevation? Guitar
      > Lake and beyond? After Crabtree Meadow?
      >
      > I see plenty of rules for the east side but nothing for the west.
      >
      > Thanks, Ray

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic