18813Re: [John Muir Trail] Help Identifying Peaks

  • John Cusick
    Sep 1, 2011
      Thanks, Kim.  Your photo certainly shows a different profile!

      On 9/1/2011 7:15 PM, Kim Fishburn wrote:
      I think the picture on wiki is taken from the Glacier Point Rd. The Mt you're looking at IS Mt Clark. You can also look at a picture I have of it. Its on this link at the bottom of the page. Its on the far right. I can't count how many times I've seen it so I have no doubt which peak it is. Its sometimes called the The Obelisk and in my picture you get more of that pyramid type shape of it like an Obelisk would have. For a reference, Isberg pass is on the far right. Red Peak Pass is just to the right of center but I don't think it can't be seen from this angle. If you look on the map Mt Clark is the first tall peak in the direction you'd be looking from the Sunrise area.

      From: John Cusick <john@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Help Identifying Peaks [1 Attachment]

      Sorry about the resolution -- the original JPG was nearly 8 MB so I reduced it for purposes of emailing.  I don't think the prominent peak is Mt. Clark, as Clark is a bit more round:

      Yes, we were in Yosemite proceeding up Sunrise Mountain (before the descent to Sunrise Meadows, etc.   The attached photo taken immediately before it shows what I believe is Mt Starr King in the distance and included the same large granite slab on the left of the frame.

      I believe the view is more East than South and am wondering if the prominent peak could be Mt Ritter, with Donahue Pass to its left.

      Its really hard to tell from this resolution. I'm guessing that you took this in Yosemite looking over the Merced River? If so the tallest peak on the right is probably Mt Clark in the Clark Range. Its a pretty prominent peak that can be seen from quite a ways away. I've even seen it from the Northern side of the Emigrant Wilderness.