1876Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit clarification please

  • Fred Sharples
    Mar 6, 2008
      Hi there.
      The backpacker's camp is for one night and for anyone that has a
      backcountry permit for the day after you stay there. It is relatively close
      to the trail head at Happy Isles. Both Happy Isles trailhead and the
      backpacker's camp are in Yosemite valley.
      You don't need a Whitney stamp anymore. When you get a permit, it's one
      permit for the whole hike, with some dates as to when you should
      theoretically arrive in the parks along the way.

      I would call for your best chances to get a permit. My theory is that it's
      easier to reject a letter or an email.
      Also, they'll work with you on a specific date if any are available. One
      more thing, have your trip planned as far as when you'll likely arrive at
      the different National parks along the way. They'll need that info.

      One way to help increase your chances for a permit is to let them know you
      will not stay in Little Yosemite Valley the first night. (You shouldn't stay
      there anyway as it's only 3-4hrs in). The rangers will need to hear this.
      Another way is to plan your departure for a weekday and not a
      Friday/Saturday departure.

      If you can't get a permit ahead of time, go to the backcountry ranger
      station in Yosemite Valley and get one there when you arrive for your trip.
      Check their hours, arrive at least 1.5 hours before they open and be
      flexible. You'll get something that day or worst case, the next day.

      Good luck!

      --
      Orange Design Inc.
      Games - Tech - Art