1866Re: Getting to and from the trail

  • e1705email
    Mar 4 8:20 PM
      Hi,

      Yes, I have worked out the details on getting to the trailhead,
      though it isn't totally smooth from Oakland or SF. The only hitch at
      this time is getting back from Lone Pine to Yosemite. From Yosemite,
      I would just do the reverse of getting there via Amtrak to either SF
      or Oakland.

      Holding off on making flight reservations until having worked through
      the options as best as can be foreseen.

      Thanks,

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466" <rambler4466@...>
      wrote:

      > It might be cheaper to fly to Oakland. From Oakland take Amtrak to
      Merced. From Merced
      > take YARTS (a bus line) to Yosemite. However, because of train
      schedules, you might not be
      > able to fly into Oakland soon enough to catch the train, and the
      YARTS bus does not run on
      > weekends. You could fly into Fresno which is closer to Merced and
      again take Amtrak and
      > Yarts. YARTS does have an ealy morning connection from Mariposa.
      Bakersfield is another
      > airport with similar connections, and is closer to Lone Pine.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner"
      <scottasinner@> wrote:

      > > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and
      was
      > > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to
      say,
      > > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
      > > people do?

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic