1864Re: Getting to and from the trail

  • e1705email
    Mar 4, 2008
      Hi Paul,

      I was not the one who asked this transportation question, but one who
      is interested in the answer. I checked out all the links and called a
      couple of the services. It seems there hasn't been much activity on
      the JMT Yahoo group lately, so will post this.

      Here are my comments:

      Earliest bus from Lone Pine to Bishop leaves at 6:30AM and arrives at
      7:40AM. The bus out of Bishop leaves at 7:00AM so the connection
      cannot be made the same day. Either have to hitchhike earlier, or get
      to Bishop the day before.

      The Bishop bus arrives at Lee Vining (for example) at 8:25AM -
      Caltrans yard. The Yarts leaves via 3 locations in Lee Vining from
      8:20, 8:23 and 8:30AM. I called CREST to see if this is timed so
      people arriving at 8:25 could make the transfer in time. The employee
      I spoke with had no idea where the Caltrans yard was and was not
      encouraging about making the connection.

      Based upon my homework so far, I haven't come up with a reliable way
      of getting from Lone Pine to Yosemite quickly / smoothly. I'm
      thinking it might be faster to hitchhike with a cardboard sign.

      Anyway, this is where I am at, if anyone has further insight. I
      haven't made any flight reservations yet, hoping that something
      firmer will develop, or more time will have to be allowed for getting
      home.

      Also, no one has been able (or willing) to answer my fish question
      yet, as to what kind of fish they were, or the possible location. If
      the table was turned, and I knew about it, I would be reluctant to
      pass the info on also. It is possible that things have changed since
      35 years ago and this kind of fish encounter no longer exists on the
      JMT (?).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <plockey@...> wrote:

      > From Lone Pine you can catch the INYO bus to Bishop.
      > Then the CREST bus from Bishop to Lee Vinning.
      > Then the YARTS bus from Lee Vinning into Yosemite Valley.
      > Then it's just a matter of getting back to Fresno the same way you
      got
      > to Yosemite Valley.
      > Here are a couple of the bus links:
      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%