1791Re: [John Muir Trail] South Lake entry reservation

  • Prapanna Smith
    Jan 27, 2008
      The trail we are speaking of was unmaintained: very rocky, lots of
      downed trees, with one
      very big downed tree near about a half mile or a quarter mile from
      the JMT junction. It was
      probably the worst trail I have ever hiked over 25 years of treking
      the Sierras.

      We actually drove up from San Diego, got our permit, parked our truck
      at South Lake, hitched
      a ride to North Lake, and started the hike all in the same day. The
      road to North Lake was
      quite narrow and there is no parking at the North Lake Trailhead
      campgrounds. If you park
      at North Lake you have to park about a half mile or so from the
      trailhead and then walk to it.
      But then you have to hitch a ride from South Lake at the end of your
      hike to get back to your
      car. It's better to do the hitching before your hike rather than
      after it.

      Prapanna