1784Re:Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on

  • Kevin Aston
    Jan 25, 2008
      When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
      Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
      the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
      GoodLuck
      Kevin Aston

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>
      wrote:

      > You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency
      the
      > trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
      > cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
      > National Forest
      > http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml
      >
      > Claire
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Frank,
      > > >
      > > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
      > > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
      > > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
      > > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
      > > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
      > > > them outside any longer.
      > > >
      > > > Thomas
      > >
      > > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
      > > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
      > George
      > > Creek. That was in May/June.
      > >
      > > thanks,
      > >
      > > frank