1717Re: Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

  • Paul
    Dec 1, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:
      >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
      it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
      answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

      > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
      starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
      Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
      one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
      mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
      Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

      > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
      Portal or near Red Meadows)?

      > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
      where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
      depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
      a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
      Pine to Bishop?

      > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
      Meadows?