1710[John Muir Trail] Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day iti

  • hmdsierra
    Dec 1, 2007
      Three of us started JMT in 1982 for a 25 day trip. We left the
      majority of the food at Red's Meadow so we could come out of Yosemite
      Valley light. We left the Valley on a Sunday and arrived at Red's
      Mdw. early Friday. At that point a bad knee dropped my friend out.
      We had intended to finish the trip from there without resupply. My
      then 10 year old son and I too enough for the next two weeks. My
      friend intended to meet us at Vidette and finish. His knee was still
      bothering him so he and his wife brought in enough for my son and I to
      finish. My friend met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at
      Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. The years since have brought
      some improvement in so things. Drink mix now uses Nutrasweet instead
      of sugar for a weight and volume saving. Same for Jell-O. I use
      about a pound a day per person. We cook on wood fires where possible
      and we cook instead of using freeze dry food. This requires a few
      pans which adds a bit of weight and takes some space. We eat well.