1709Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

    Dec 1, 2007
      We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

      Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

      PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

      PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

      Thanks!

      Thanks!