16832Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit question

  • Kate
    Jul 1, 2011
      Thanks for this suggestion. I've been looking into it but unfortunately none of the book or out door sporting/gear shops in my area of the country have the southern or central PCT books so I've been trying to find any relevant info online. Do you think the snow cover/ice on this route as we approach Mt. Whitney in 3 weeks from now will require a lot of technical experience?

      > First sentence should have read: Have you thought of doing the PCT 200 miles
      > SOUTH of Whitney and ending up at Whitney?
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Have you thought of doing the PCT 200 miles of Whitney and ending up at
      > > Whitney? Book 2 of the PCT covers the entire 527 miles of the High Sierra -
      > > http://pacificcresttrailmap.com/pacific-crest-trail-atlas-2/ and it is a
      > > packable, 100% useable map of that PCT segment with nearly a map a page. I
      > > have this book and want to do it in 2012. You'd be best to join the PCT-L
      > > list group and ask over there, as I have only done the PCT from Horseshoe
      > > Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows which is mostly the JMT portion (minus about
      > > 15-20 miles). But you start at 3800 Feet at Hwy 58 in Tehaqchapi, CA. It
      > > is exactly 200 miles north on the PCT to get to Crabtree Meadow which is
      > > where you'd then go up to Guitar Lake then Whitney and then out to Lone
      > > Pine. About the same mileage as the JMT.
      > >
      > > Check out the link above:
      > > http://pacificcresttrailmap.com/pacific-crest-trail-atlas-2/
      > >
      > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM, km.miley <kate.m.miley@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Hi again,
      > >> I'm looking into alternative plans for the time I had blocked off (July
      > >> 6-31st) to do the JMT because I do not feel that my skill level is high
      > >> enough to deal with the snow conditions. My hiking partner and I are looking
      > >> into hiking other places in CA, but would still like to do Mt. Whitney near
      > >> the end of July if possible. I know the permits we have reserved for Lyell
      > >> Canyon would get us all the way through the JMT - if we go pick those up and
      > >> spend a couple days in that area, and then drive to Lone Pine later in the
      > >> month, can we still use those permits? My guess is no, but since this was
      > >> the only permit we needed, I was thinking this could be a loophole...has
      > >> anyone done this before?
      > >>
      > >> thanks,
      > >> Kate

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic