15770[John Muir Trail] Re: Water Treatment - Marti124 article

  • hmdsierra
    Jun 1, 2011
      The first I ever heard about being careful was when we picked up our permit in '82. We had not even considered a filter, what's that?, in our planning. We just used care where we got our water, sometimes more than others. Had to drink our of Rosalie Lk for example. Between mt Son, mu friend and myself only one time was there a problem. On a trip in the S. Fork Kern my friend got the bug. We drank the same water and I had no problem. What made it funny was that at the Little Kern I was drinking whiskey and river and my friend was drink some Kool-Aid. He asked me if I was going to drink the Kool-Aid too and said he didn't want to be the only one to get sick. I drank it too and he was still the only one to get sick. We had just watched a pack train dross the river when he asked me. I'm pretty sure he got it in the South Fork, with low slow flowing streams and lots of cow pastry. .Another friend sad the only place he ever had trouble was in the South Fork also.

      > I found this very long thread in the library:
      > [John Muir Trail] University of California - UC Newsroom | Backcountry water
      > quality tests are good news for campers
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic