15747Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Water Treatment - Marti124 article

    Jun 1, 2011
      ps - I forgot to add, I have talked to about as many rangers who treat the water as those who don't too.  It seems to be something different people come to different conclusions.

      On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      It's true that the Sierra water is very clean and I've talked to rangers who have gone 20 years without filtering water in the back country.  There are a host of rules to follow and they've been published on this board before.  Either John Ladd or Peter Burke or John Dittli-Goethals or Ned (mountaineducation) posted the rules.  Sorry I can't find them right now.  But I recall one person still getting Giardia following the rules over a 20 year period too.  Personally, I'm too lazy to bother with the rules and find it easier to just take precautions and not have to worry about such things.  If it came down to dying of thirst or drinking the water, I'd drink the water though.  The risk is very minimal.

      Why are you still thinking of bringing a filter if your own experience shows a breakdown after 2/3rds of the trip?

      I stopped taking filters in multi-week Sierra trips a long time ago (about 6 years ago) for that very reason.

      Roleigh

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic