1543A late reply

  • onkelb0b
    May 27, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Julio" <Patronio@...
      wrote:
      >How do you guys have managed tedium, boredom or monotony in the past?
      I am afraid I would go crazy after the first ten days. . .doing the
      same thing: breaking up camp, hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any
      comments or recommendations on this subject will be appreciated.<

      If these are your concerns, then you have nothing to fear but fear itself.
      Thunderstorms, food supplies, and squeaking parts were difficulties
      #1-3 on 20 days N->S in 2004. Evolution Lake, Glen and Forester Pass,
      then Guitar Lake in driving rain was a bummer, but since it was my
      third trip, the loss was not great. Food always runs low because long
      days mean great hunger; nevertheless begging on the trail often works.
      The parts, they always squeak, whether its the toes not accustomed to
      the weight and terrain to the hips chafing under the belt, on through
      to shoulders. Heck I often suffer from Sierra neck, soreness due to
      looking up at the mountains surrounding me.
      Still when one has idle time, a journal is my occupation of choice. I
      like to return - revisit places - and so can use a written record of
      the time and features. I keep a record of sites and time needed to
      reach them and so decide where I will stay. For example, Bear
      Creek/Rosemarie Mdws to Goddard Cr looks to be too far, but when one
      understands the clear superiority of the sites 1/2 hour further on the
      trail, there's motivation to continue hiking. (Conversely, I stay on
      the north side of Evolution Lake, a short day, because of the camping
      there, and knowledge I can reach Palisade Cr the next day.) A journal
      tailored to your pace is invaluable for future hikes.
      Learn to cook beyond the freeze-dried reheat. Warm desserts at night
      allow you to pack in calories with more efficient use of heat. Of
      course be careful when/where you cook at night - OK in Upper Basin,
      not advised in Vidette Mdw.
      Expand other personal repertoire. Astronomy and Botany are naturals
      for the territory. I don't stay up at night but I do stop to *smell*
      the flowers. The rangers frown on bear-baiting, however you'll see
      others too - osprey, eagles, bluebirds and tanagers in the air, pikas,
      marmots, and foxes on the ground.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic