14973Re: [John Muir Trail] accommodations, Independence

    May 3, 2011
      This is really sad news.  We stayed there in 2009 for one night.  We'll have to update our JMT crib sheet.

      On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM, <ned@...> wrote:

      Just a quick note:

      The Winnedumah Motel in Independence is closed due to winter water damage--the roof collapsed. The recent owner, Frank Montoya, is putting the place up for sale. It is sad news for thru hikers as he was a great supporter, even willing to meet hikers at the Onion Valley trailhead, have hot dinners waiting for them in town, take them to Bishop's supermarkets, provide internet access, mailing facilities, and full laundry in house, and more.

      I realized this while driving by, both down from and back up to Tahoe, to go to the KO and the place was dark and seemingly unoccupied. Folks at the local gas station filled me in on the details...

      Ray's Den is still open, though.

       "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education