14969Re: [John Muir Trail] accommodations, Independence

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    May 3, 2011
      Just a quick note:

      The Winnedumah Motel in Independence is closed due to winter water damage--the roof collapsed. The recent owner, Frank Montoya, is putting the place up for sale. It is sad news for thru hikers as he was a great supporter, even willing to meet hikers at the Onion Valley trailhead, have hot dinners waiting for them in town, take them to Bishop's supermarkets, provide internet access, mailing facilities, and full laundry in house, and more.

      I realized this while driving by, both down from and back up to Tahoe, to go to the KO and the place was dark and seemingly unoccupied. Folks at the local gas station filled me in on the details...

      Ray's Den is still open, though.

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
          P: 888-996-8333
          F: 530-541-1456
      From: brink_nathan@...
      Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:27:43 +0000

      Dredging up an old post here...

      Is it recommended/possible to make a reservation at the hostel in early September? Was originally planning just to meet my ride coming off the trail, but thinking about it'd be way more convenient not to have to worry about synchronizing a meetup coming off Whitney with my father who's coming from Paso Robles to pick me up.

      Thanks,
      Nathan Brink

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carole Warner <carewarner@...> wrote:

      > Whitney Portal Hostel.  Their web site is:  http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/