1408Re: [John Muir Trail] GPS's

  • Kevin Aston
    Jan 31, 2007
      I have a Rino 530 and a Rino 120. They can talk to each other and
      show me where on the map the other person it. The 530 also has an
      altimeter so it gives accurate elevations. I like using it as I
      know exactly where I am (unless the trees are to thick) and how far
      it is to my next camp or stream. I hve GPS coordinates on my website
      for JMT at www.kevinaston.com if you wish to download them. I love
      having the GPS and plan on getting another 30 before my July
      tripthis summer. I got my permit paper work and reservation # for
      July 19th on Tuesday. I'm ready to start hiking now.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for
      my
      > hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the
      trail. We use
      > it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are
      from each
      > other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device
      that well,
      > got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an
      hour away
      > from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device
      and could
      > see where he was versus the trail. Cool.
      >
      > This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS
      frequencies) plus
      > a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such
      as
      > Sequoia National Park).
      >
      > --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
      > > probably be a novelty as
      > > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how
      many
      > > backpackers these
      > > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who
      use them,
      > > what
      > > features do they recommend?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic