1407Re: [John Muir Trail] GPS's

    Jan 30, 2007
      I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for my
      hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the trail. We use
      it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are from each
      other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device that well,
      got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an hour away
      from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device and could
      see where he was versus the trail. Cool.

      This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS frequencies) plus
      a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such as
      Sequoia National Park).

      --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:

      > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
      > probably be a novelty as
      > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how many
      > backpackers these
      > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them,
      > what
      > features do they recommend?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic