14020Re: [John Muir Trail] clothes

    Apr 2, 2011
      One idea that hasn't been mentioned yet, may work for you at least for
      early or late season hiking. Go to your local Goodwill store in the
      mens suits or dress pants section. Get a pair of fully lined wool
      dress pants for about $5. Summer weight, light colored. Re-hem them so
      they are short and don't have a cuff. Suspender buttons are a plus
      -see Filson for really good suspenders. Pleated ones are particularly
      comfortable. DWR treat for water repellency. The lining makes them
      extremely comfortable to hike in. Wool stays warm when wet.

      I assume that there are similar ones for women, though maybe not as
      loose in the knee as is best for uphill comfort.

      On Saturday, April 2, 2011, gordonjacobsen <gordonjacobsen@...> wrote:

      > Another fan of shorts here. I do use converible pants in case I ever want to cover may knees and calves (usually because of skeeters). My rain shell generally keeps me dry to my thighs and as others have mentioned, legs dry quickly. My warddrobe is:
      >
      > TOP
      > - Wool T-Shirt (hiking shirt)
      > - Capilene Top (skeeters / pajamas)
      > - Puffy Sweater, mine is Primaloft (warmth and pillow)
      > - Shell (rain / wind)
      >
      > BOTTOM
      > - Convertible Pants (hiking shorts)
      > - Capilene Bottom (warmth and pajamas)
      > - Wool Boxers
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "T" <tvanr13@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hey- I'm leaning toward my trustworthy convertible rei hiking pants but can't decide if rain pants and/or under armor bottoms would be worth the extra weight.
      >> Also, for top layers so far I have under armor long sleeve, rei long sleeve hiking uv shirt, REI Hood River fleece hoodie and a Marmot lightweight rain coat. I don't have much faith in the hoodie if it gets really cold (it's kind of thin) but maybe all 4 things combined would keep me warm? Or should I upgrade to a thicker fleece?
      >> Thanks, Tim

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707