14010Re: clothes

  • targetdoggmechanic
    Apr 2, 2011
      I have rarely needed the rain pains in June-July-August so I stopped bringing them. The storms never last that long. Usually by the time I used to be able to get them on, it stops or slows down. I wear Columbia or REI convertible pants or gym shorts and they dry quickly. If it's a heavy rain I sit it out either in a tent or drape my tent fly over me as a jacket. I do bring a rain jacket, but I usually use this as a windbreaker if there is a cold wind, like on top of Whitney, or if I am setting up a camp in the rain and the tent fly is in use. But everyone may have their own preferences. I tend to skimp on the clothing a bit and have never been disappointed.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...> wrote:

      > I layer just like Viraj suggests, and also use the down sweater or vest for a pillow.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Viraj Ward <birdnlady@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ditto, John on the rain pants. I can't really think of a reason not to bring
      > > them (isn't rain protection a ten essential?), and I use them every
      > > evening on Sierra backpacks for the added warmth. I'm sure you will be happy to
      > > have them. I invested in a down sweater for my top layer system besides a
      > > SmartWool top. It's an option if you want more warmth instead of the added bulk
      > > of fleece. You might be surprised with how cold the nights/early mornings can
      > > be.
      > > Viraj

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic