1393Re: Bear containers

  • hmdsierra
    Jan 22, 2007
      Often the latches on the bear boxes are broken. A few years ago we
      were in Little Yosemite Valley. the Ranger strongly insisted I use
      the bear box. I looked at it and one of the latches was missing the
      catch the other had a broken spring that allowed the slide latch to
      remain open. I bumped one with the heel of my hand once and the other
      twice and the lid fell open. I looked for the ranger but he was
      already gone. I put my food in it but was not asured.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "microseris2004"
      <microseris2004@...> wrote:

      > Thank you, Snowbird, for the excellent set of links on the status of
      > Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG) approved bear resistant
      > food-storage containers.
      >
      > I hiked the entire JMT with a friend of mine in 2005. We both carried
      > Bearikade Expeditions, which were just the right size for the Muir Ranch
      > to Mt. Whitney 10-day+ leg of the trip. For a 5-day solo trip, the
      > Bearikade Weekender should be plenty big—as would the similarly
      > sized BearVault 450. And if you don't eat much and pack really tightly,
      > you might even be able to use the smaller sized models.
      >
      > While we had two nights where bears walked by our camp, they paid no
      > attention to us and did not bother us with our food securely stored in
      > our crush-proof O-ringed-sealed canisters. (Interestingly, our earlier
      > group-campsite in Yosemite Valley was raided somewhat successfully by a
      > bear the night before we left. The bear had discovered a way of throwing
      > itself at the steel food-storage boxes in such a way that it was able to
      > open the locks on the steel boxes! Sheesh, I hope the park has found a
      > way to keep those locks from being successfully assaulted. Could
      > someone post an update on that? Fortunately, our gear wasn't damaged,
      > but we were happy to leave the Valley for wilder, and perhaps safer,
      > country ahead.)
      >
      > Most of the folks that we talked to on the JMT were carrying BearVaults,
      > and of course the talk of the trail was the bear or bears near the Rae
      > Lakes (and south) area that were breaking in to the BearVaults. It's
      > good to hear that a redesigned BearVault is now in the stores and they
      > have a program to replace the old ones and educate old BearVault users
      > so the bears are less likely to find success.
      >
      > We all benefit when bears eat wild food and leave the hikers alone.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "thebeebes" <rickbb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" jvfbender@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am struggling with a choice among bear containers. I would love
      > > to have the light weight
      > > > of the URSACK but am concerned about 1) It is not fully approved
      > > in the National Parks
      > > > and 2) I am concerned about my food being crunched if not consumed.
      > > >
      > > > I am giving serious consideration to the bear vault but am
      > > deliberating over which size I
      > > > would select. I will do most of my trecking solo and at most would
      > > do 5 days between
      > > > resupplies on any trip.
      > > >
      > > > What do you think would be the way to go.
      > > >

      > > You might want to wait and see what happens with the Ursack. Right
      > > now it is showing as conditionally approved on the Sierra Interagency
      > > Black Bear Group website at
      > > http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm, but
      > > there is a fairly recent post on the Ursack website by Tom (the
      > > owner) at http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm saying that things
      > > are up in the air with the SIBBG for 2007. Remember that conditional
> [...]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic