1380Re: [John Muir Trail] Timing

  • thomas taylor
    Jan 9, 2007
      Hi Jim,

      For me, the best time is the end of May/early June.
      At that time of the year one can expect to find plenty
      of snow in the higher elevations/passes (trans highly
      scenic), NO mosquitoes, few if any 'tourists (trans
      day/weekend hikers), and the water running fast, fresh
      and cold. Just my 2 cents.

      Thomas

      > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South
      > JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
      > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne
      > Meadows. When would be the best time to
      > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not
      > sure which I dislike more but can
      > handle either in small doses)
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

      Best regards,