1376Re: [John Muir Trail] South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • joel beam
    Nov 27, 2006
      yes it is totally realistic. I am 34 years old and have a bit of higher elevation experience. training at elevation would help. your body stores an elevation memory for approx. 15 days. Try to give yourself a day or two at trailhead elevatoion to atleast walk around at. you should have no more troulbe with the 12000 ft + passes.

      Kevin Thompson <kevbt2@...> wrote: I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
      miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail in
      under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in 7
      days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
      high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
      old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
      on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
      that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.

      Best Regards,
      Kevin