1374Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • Jamie F. Dahl
    Nov 21, 2006
      I and my hiking partner did the trail (in 2004) in 14 days, we had one or two really long days > 15 miles, but that was also offset by some short days (like the day into vermillion < 9 ). There is a lot to see, and a lot to do in the back country there, next time I do all of it, I'd like to take a month...fish my way down the trail etc..not do more then 10.

      But yes..15 mpd if you're in good condition is very doable, and not overly rushed

      we'd generally be on the trail by 7:30 no later then 8..do usual breaks etc..snack at 10
      a 2nd big meal (breakfast being the 1st) around 2pm with a nice break to offset the heat and bounce around in the countryside. Back on the trail around 4-5 and walk a

      We found that doing the "cooked" meal early in the day like that kept the bear factor down to a minimum. The first 5 days on the trail we'd run into people daily who said "yah we lost a bag or two outta our food cache" and they were generally camped within 30 minutes of our position, yet we saw no sign of bear (personally I was kind of disappointed b/c that's yet another backcountry trip where I did'nt see a bear).

      Jamie Dahl

      "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir