1373Re: [John Muir Trail] South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • thomas taylor
    Nov 21, 2006
      Sure Kevin, 15 miles a day is realistic but the real
      question is whether or not it's realistic for you.
      I'm 59 and can do 17 to 21 miles a day when pushed.
      However 9 to 12 is more realistic or me because I like
      to stop and do photography along the way.

      Starting from Bishop you're going to be starting high
      (12,000 ft) and probably won't feel good for the first
      2 days until you aclimate. You might consider
      aclimating in Bishop buy touring the town and the
      ancient bristlecones on White mountain (>14,000) and
      the 2d or 3d highest peak in California.

      --- Kevin Thompson <kevbt2@...> wrote:

      > I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high
      > variability on
      > miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did
      > the whole trail in
      > under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake
      > to Mt Whitney in 7
      > days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this
      > realistic given the
      > high passes and elevation changes for a fit and
      > experienced 33 year
      > old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras
      > but I had youth
      > on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York)
      > and anticipate
      > that being an early challenge. Any thoughts
      > welcome.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Kevin

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic