1371Re: South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • Paul
    Nov 20, 2006
      Hi Kevin - I think South Lake to Whitney is very doable in 7 days. I
      did the JMT last summer and we did that stretch in 6 days. Wasn't
      easy, but the incredible beauty of that stretch made it easy to keep up
      the pace. There are a bunch of passes, but you stay pretty darn high.
      And you are a young guy - I was 49 when I did it! So, go for it and
      enjoy yourself.
      paul

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Thompson" <kevbt2@...>
      wrote:

      > I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
      > miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail
      in
      > under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in
      7
      > days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
      > high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
      > old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
      > on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
      > that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Kevin

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic