1320Re: Shipping Alchohol (Heet) UPS or US Mail

  • Frank Martin
    Jul 13, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"
      <sschroe111@...> wrote:

      > I'm getting ready to send off my re-supply bucket for the JMT. Does
      > anyone know what the deal is on shipping alchohol. Can I do it? I was
      > planning on using a MSR type metal fuel bottle. I can't seem to get a
      > straight answer from UPS. I haven't asked the post office yet. Thanks.

      Try this link.

      http://www.gottawalk.com/

      click "Hike Planning"

      then click "Mailing Fuel"

      then scroll down to Alcohol

      simplified quote from Gottawalk

      What this means to us:

      Primary Receptacle
      We can ship alcohol in a metal primary receptacle not to exceed 1
      quart. A nonmetal primary receptacle must not exceed 1 pint. The
      primary receptacle must have a screw cap (with a minimum of
      one-and-one-half turns), soldering clips, or other means of secure
      closure (friction tops are not acceptable). Only one primary
      receptacle is permitted per mail piece.

      Cushioning Material and Secondary Packaging
      Enough cushioning material must surround the primary receptacle to
      prevent breakage and absorb any potential leakage. The cushioning and
      primary receptacle must be packed in a securely sealed secondary
      packaging.

      Outer Packaging
      A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely
      holding the primary receptacle, cushioning material, and secondary
      packaging is required.

      Marking
      Each mailpiece must be clearly marked on the address side with
      "Surface Mail Only", "Consumer Commodity ORM-D", and the flashpoint of
      the flammable liquid (which is 13C/55F for denatured alcohol)