12826Re: [John Muir Trail] Best Exit from MTR?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Feb 26, 2011
      The Piute creek to North Lake is an excellent idea. Getting from MTR to the far side of Florence Lake is easy but hitching from Florence is tough. BUT you can ask the store there to call a taxi, for about $200.  Or you can prearrange for a taxi to meet you there. When I was there, a taxi was waiting to pick up some others.
      The ferry across the lake arrives at the store from the MTR side every 2 hours, odd hours only (that was 2010 schedule at least).

      Barbara

      On Feb 26, 2011, at 7:27 AM, "targetdoggmechanic" <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

      Getting out at MTR is tough with the 22 mile stretch of Kaiser Pass Road as your only way out...a one lane crazy winding mountain road which takes at least 2 hrs or more just to get to a paved 2 lane road, and from there, it's still 2-3 hours to get to Fresno. It's hard to arrange transportation with these kind of conditions unless you hitch it, most people I've met are pretty nice and willing to do that. VVR has a shuttle but it's a bit pricey. But, if it was me, and you had a few more days to spare and you insisted on going southbound, hike an additional 2 or so miles past MTR to get to the Piute creek trail, which takes you into spectacular humphries basin, maybe another 1-2 days from the jct of the JMT and Piute trail to get near Bishop, it will be easy to get a ride to town from there as this is a busy TH. From Bishop, you could take the CRST bus or hitch to get to mammoth, then take YARTS back to Yosemite and then Amtrak to SFO.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Matt Ruby <mattruby@...> wrote:

      >           I think its a better strategy to go northbound and catch a ride into vvr or mtr and then work your way north as there are many good exit points and more allows you more flexibility.  If I had limited time I think I would start from the eastern sierra, perhaps bishop as it is easy to hitch a ride with a sabaru driving hippie to the trailhead.  Enjoy, as one person always quoted from this forum, "planning is half the fun".    Matt

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic