1264Re: warm up hikes

  • Bob
    Apr 29, 2006
      Thanks Bill. Hiking up to Vidette and back is one of my usual late
      May to early June hikes along with YV to Merced Lake. Merced will
      require some water shoes this year or perhaps snoeshoes for the high
      trail until mid-June I'm thinking. I want to get in some good
      climbs so was considering trying to work in Kings Canyon to Granite
      Lakes and x-country around Copper Creek or even some of the dreaded
      hikes off of 395 like Sawmill or Taboose. My start date is not
      until 8/18 so I've got quite a bit of time to condition and try out
      this season's gear.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...>
      > Bob, you might consider an out and back hike on the Woods Creek
      > (Paradise Valley), or Bubbs Creek trail, out of Cedar Grove,
      > I've hiked both trails as part of the Rae Lakes Loop - its early
      > hike the entire loop because of snow on Glen pass, and the entire
      > is a little longer than what you want.
      > There will probably be some water issues in Paradise Valley in mid-
      > May, but it should be OK. Woods Creek bridge (about 8500') is
      > 15 miles from Roads End (about 5000' elevation). You could also
      > out Bubbs creek about 15 miles or so and turn around.
      > Permits and info phone number:
      > http://www.nps.gov/seki/resform.htm
      > Since I live in SoCal, I hike in the desert in the winter, and
      > hike in the local mountains in the Spring. I prefer late August
      > September in the Sierras - fewer water, snow and mosquito issues.
      > Best of luck and Enjoy the JMT!
      > Bill
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June
      > in
      > > preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack
      > any
      > > of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra
      > will
      > > require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
      > > snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with
      > > altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs,
      > > there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I
      went up
      > > past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had
      > water
      > > almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic