1262Re: warm up hikes

  • dive_hike
    Apr 23, 2006
      Bob, you might consider an out and back hike on the Woods Creek Trail
      (Paradise Valley), or Bubbs Creek trail, out of Cedar Grove, Sequoia.
      I've hiked both trails as part of the Rae Lakes Loop - its early to
      hike the entire loop because of snow on Glen pass, and the entire loop
      is a little longer than what you want.

      There will probably be some water issues in Paradise Valley in mid-
      May, but it should be OK. Woods Creek bridge (about 8500') is about
      15 miles from Roads End (about 5000' elevation). You could also hike
      out Bubbs creek about 15 miles or so and turn around.

      Permits and info phone number:
      http://www.nps.gov/seki/resform.htm

      Since I live in SoCal, I hike in the desert in the winter, and then
      hike in the local mountains in the Spring. I prefer late August and
      September in the Sierras - fewer water, snow and mosquito issues.

      Best of luck and Enjoy the JMT!
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

      > I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June 15
      in
      > preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack do
      any
      > of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra which
      will
      > require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
      > snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with some
      > altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs, but
      > there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I went up
      > past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had
      water
      > almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic