1261Re: [John Muir Trail] warm up hikes

  • Clinton Cleveland
    Apr 20, 2006
      Hi,

      Not sure where you're based, but Desolation wilderness down by Big Sur
      offers some great hiking at lower altitudes. We were able to do some
      good practice hikes there while the Sierra was still deep in snow.
      Best of all, the whole area seems pretty lightly used. We saw maybe
      two people in three days. I'd recommend making a loop starting from
      China Camp out to Big Sur and back, depending how much ground you
      want to cover.

      Also the lower portions of Emigrant wilderness, say starting down by
      Kibbie Lake, might be snow free by mid May.

      Hope this helps,
      Clint

      --
      Clinton Cleveland