1256Re: [John Muir Trail] best way to heat water?

  • paul ahonen
    Apr 16, 2006
      Hi
      I have a Whisperlite, Esbit, and an alcohol stove. I also like to carry dehydrated meals on long hikes where all I have to do is boil water for it and have enough for a cup of tea. My favorite by far for long hikes is the Vargo titanium alchole stove. It burns alcohol and just in case you can flip it over and burn solid fuel tabs.
      I have in a 3/4 liter pot the stove, a 4oz cup (just for measuring), a package of fuel tabs, a wash rag and a bottle of soap. The last 2 items are to keep everything from moving around. I put the pot in a stuff sack with 2- 8 oz bottles of alcohol fuel I wrap my wind screen around one of the bottles, and a plastic fork and spoon. all this fits into one nice small size stuff sack.
      The stove boiled 3 cups of water in about 7 min.

      However if you want to boil alot of water fast my whisperlight boiled 6 cups of water in about 5 min

      Check out the Vargo stove don't let it's size and weight fool you I think it is great.
      I am going to hike the JMT hopfully in 2007 and the Vargo stove is the one I am going to take.

      Whichever you choose good luck and have fun on the hike I am jealous I can't go this year I am getting married

      Happy Trails Paul

      Dan McGuire <dwmcguire@...> wrote:
      Hey,

      My two cents, which is probably only worth half of that follows:

      White gas (ie whisperlite or some such) overkill for the trail. Heavy. Loud. Not needed for the meals you're cooking.
      Esbit - stinky, can be very hard to light, especially in a bit of a breeze, once they get going they go like gangbusters, can leave a nasty residue, impossible to accidentally spill. Easy to toss in a resupply box, though probably illegal to ship. Nice to have a couple as a back up, but I stopped using as a cooking source due to issues noted above.
      Alcohol (cat can stove, pepsi can stove, etc) - easy and simple. Fuel is available in Red's Meadow and in VVR. Simple, lightweight, quiet and odor free. My personal favorite.

      Hope that helps a bit,

      Scooter