12390Re: Camping spots between YV and TM

  • John
    Feb 4, 2011
      The hike from YV to TM is underrated by many. And beyond continuity there is something to be experienced from walking from Yosemite Valley to Mt Whitney.

      As far as camping, I find it nice to break up the climb out of YV a ways beyond the first Sunrise creek xing. Shortly after the trail junction to Echo Valley (and the upper jct of the Clouds Rest Loop), the JMT parallels Sunrise Creek. The creek is a bit distant and over a low moraine. Keep your eye out to the left (SoBo), there is a slight way trail leading to a nice secluded camp along the creek.

      For sunrise or sunset, be sure to climb the very low ridge south of the trail for unparalleled views down into Little Yosemite Valley.

      Next would be Upper Cathedral Lake, buggy, popular and IMHO the prettiest spot on the JMT north of Evolution. Great sunset spot (see cover of Walk the Sky!), ok, sorry for the shameless promo.

      Happy Trails

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "masonmj84" <masonmj84@...> wrote:

      > New forum member, long time lurker. I've hiked most of the JMT twice, but started both times at Tuolumne. Have never done the section between YV and TM (didn't want to deal with crowds, permit hassles, and 5,000 ft. climb). Lately, however, my inner purist has been driving me to do the whole thing.
      >
      > My plan is to hike the YV to TM section in about 2.5 days, arriving at TM around noon on the third day (I'm not planning on any side trips, e.g., Half Dome). On the first day, I'd like to get in about 7-9 miles (past the Cloud's Rest turnoff but before the last big climb to Sunrise). On the second day, I'd like to get somewhere between Long Meadow and Upper Cathedral Lake. I'm interested in suggested camping spots in both of these areas.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic