1209Re: VVR & MTR

  • Dave
    Mar 2, 2006
      On my ten-day thru-hike of JMT last summer I resupplied at MTR. They
      do sell items like fuel, postcards, and other miscellaneous items.
      They do not sell beer. I really had no interest in leaving the
      wilderness, taking the additional time, nor was I interested in the
      dehydrating effects of alcohol so I skipped VVR. The folks at MTR
      were very professional, efficient and cordial. I had put a Coke in
      my resupply bucket and it was cold at 10:00 AM when I arrived. I am
      sure you could do the same with a beer. Their storage building for
      the resupply buckets is relatively cool and I am sure it would be
      refreshing.

      I got to MTR at 10:00 AM and was back on the trail at 11:00 AM
      having sorted through my bucket, repacking my bear canister,
      drinking my cola and eating some food. I brought too much food and
      left quite a bit in the hiker box. They also take your garbage.
      There is a nice picnic table to sort through your bucket and repack
      although there were four hikers there at the same time I was there
      so it was a little crowded. They also have excellent water.

      I packed all my food except lunch and dinner in my canister which
      lasted to WP. Again, I had too much food and had some leftover when
      I finished the trip. I think over-packing food is a very common
      occurrence, although I did meet up with three college students who
      had run low on food and I was able to give them quite a bit of my
      extra.

      If you are traveling SOBO and have no interest in leaving the
      wilderness, MTR is the likely last resupply point. If you are
      adventurous, I would be willing to bet you could Yogi some extra
      food along the way...

      Dave

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I must say I had an excellent stay at VVR last year. The PCT
      crowd was
      > great, as well the other JMT hikers. I go there on a Saturday
      and
      > loved the
      > beer, BBQ, and live music. It was pricey; but what the heck,
      where
      > else can
      > you enjoy a respite from the trail at nearly the half way point
      of
      > the JMT?
      > Muir Trail Ranch does not offer anything, though one of their
      guests
      > gave
      > me a beer (and told me not let anyone there know about it), and
      they did
      > let me have a little cold lemonade before I continued on.
      >
      > Prapanna
      >
      > On Mar 1, 2006, at 7:08 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
      >
      > > ok I get it...I know about vvr ...some have told me it is
      highly
      > > overrated but any place you can get a cold beer on the
      trail..well
      > > i think I have to go there...:)
      > >
      > > Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > where was the beer did thirsty hikers drink it all before you
      > > arrived?
      > >

      > > Hi Vera,
      > >
      > > VVR is a Resort that is used for resupply for the JMT or PCT.
      It is
      > > accesed by boat 2x/day or by hiking in. I think it is a 2.5
      mile
      > > hike in.
      > >
      > > If you are a through hiker and show your permit you get a 'free'
      beer
      > > and also get a night in the Backpacker's Dorm. It has very good
      food
      > > albeit quite expensive.
      > >
      > > When the boat 'left early' I just continued on but I did have a
      beer
      > > at Whitney Portal Store.

      > > High sierra sport High sierras

      > > Service.

      > > High sierra sport High sierras
      > >
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      Service.