1199Re: [John Muir Trail] rides

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Feb 28, 2006
      where was the beer did thirsty hikers drink it all before you arrived?

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

      > Frank, it looks like you survived the experiment. I can relate to
      > the freedom of having no agenda other than hiking far. On my middle
      > leg of a 3 year section hike in 2001 I found VVR was a nice break
      > from hiking solo for a few days. It's hard to beat the cold beer,
      > barbeque, hot showers, and chance to swap tales with fellow
      > travellers.
      >
      > Bob R

      I actually looked at my watch coming over Silver Pass and knew I could
      make the boat if I hustled. I figured a cold beer and a nice meal
      even if I wasn't going to resupply.

      It was close I got to the Bridge and jogged the last 3/4 mile to the
      dock. I got there well in time but the boat left 8 minutes early.

      Not only did I not get a cold beer I wore myself out getting there and
      the worst part was those 'zero miles'. I went back to the bridge and
      spent the night there. The next day I went from there to Piute Pass
      where I ran into Pranpanna.

      It wasn't any big deal. I really was looking forward to the beer
      though. So much of solo hiking is keeping your mind upbeat. I really
      enjoy it. It just really teaches you a lot about yourself.

      frank