1186Re: [John Muir Trail] rides

  • hmdsierra
    Feb 23, 2006
      Our first resupply was Red's Mdw. That way we cam out of the Valley
      light. It was 5 days from Happy Isles to Red's Mdw. Our plan was to
      take all the rest of the food from there to finish. However, my
      friend had knee problems so my 10 year old son and I took enough to
      last two weeks and my friend planned on rejoining us at Vidette. He
      was unable to continue with us from there but he and his wife brought
      in more than enough food for us to finish the last 5 days to Whitney
      Portal. We were pretty thin on food when we got ther but we could
      have finished by moving faster and having some luck fishing. We had a
      couple of Cup-O-Noodles, popcorn, dried fruit, and flour for gravy.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim Martin <anasazipottery@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi All..........
      >
      > I hiked with a buddy from North to South in the summer
      > of 2003. We had heavy packs coming out of the valley
      > and it just about killed us. So I can imagine what it
      > would be like in the opposite direction, although I
      > plan on doing it someday.
      >
      > We ran into a couple going the opposite way on their
      > last day of completing the trip from South to North.
      > Their advise to us was to ditch as much weight as
      > possible. So we sent supplies home from the meadows
      > and then sent half of our re-supply home from
      > Vermillion since we were not eating much.
      >
      > Well you can guess what happened. We started eating
      > like mad the last half of the trip and ended up
      > running out of food near Rae Lakes. We were
      > successful in begging food from weekenders the rest of
      > the way. Plus the backcountry ranger stations have
      > hiker boxes for those needing supplies or wanting to
      > drop off excess supplies. It worked so well, I told
      > my buddy we should try the trip someday begging food
      > and fuel the whole way. I bet it could be done!!!
      >
      > Trip report with photos for those that are interested:
      >
      > http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:
      >
      > > On my 2005 thru-hike of 9.5 days, my first day of 27
      > > miles from YV
      > > to TM was undoubtedly the most taxing. I started out
      > > too fast and
      > > ran out of gas on Cathedral Pass but picked it up
      > > after eating and
      > > descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of
      > > the trail for
      > > me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was
      > > afternoon, I'd
      > > already been over Forester Pass and I probably was
      > > suffering from a
      > > lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.
      > >
      > > I agree that regardless of starting north or south,
      > > your first day
      > > will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV
      > > you can resupply
      > > at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus
      > > the food you need
      > > to carry over Trail Crest.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest
      > > turnoff. There was a
      > > > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in
      > > '89 where we
      > > stayed
      > > > after coming down from Clouds Rest.
      > > >
      > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob"

> [...]