1185Re: [John Muir Trail] rides

  • Jim Martin
    Feb 23, 2006
      Hi All..........

      I hiked with a buddy from North to South in the summer
      of 2003. We had heavy packs coming out of the valley
      and it just about killed us. So I can imagine what it
      would be like in the opposite direction, although I
      plan on doing it someday.

      We ran into a couple going the opposite way on their
      last day of completing the trip from South to North.
      Their advise to us was to ditch as much weight as
      possible. So we sent supplies home from the meadows
      and then sent half of our re-supply home from
      Vermillion since we were not eating much.

      Well you can guess what happened. We started eating
      like mad the last half of the trip and ended up
      running out of food near Rae Lakes. We were
      successful in begging food from weekenders the rest of
      the way. Plus the backcountry ranger stations have
      hiker boxes for those needing supplies or wanting to
      drop off excess supplies. It worked so well, I told
      my buddy we should try the trip someday begging food
      and fuel the whole way. I bet it could be done!!!

      Trip report with photos for those that are interested:

      http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

      Jim

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic