1184Re: [John Muir Trail] rides

  • Dave
    Feb 23, 2006
      On my 2005 thru-hike of 9.5 days, my first day of 27 miles from YV
      to TM was undoubtedly the most taxing. I started out too fast and
      ran out of gas on Cathedral Pass but picked it up after eating and
      descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of the trail for
      me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was afternoon, I'd
      already been over Forester Pass and I probably was suffering from a
      lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.

      I agree that regardless of starting north or south, your first day
      will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV you can resupply
      at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus the food you need
      to carry over Trail Crest.

      Dave

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest turnoff. There was a
      > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in '89 where we
      stayed
      > after coming down from Clouds Rest.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > No matter whether you're heading north or south it's likely that
      your
      > > first day will be the toughest. Going south you climb from 4000
      > > about 9700 before descending to Sunrise HSC, and trail
      conditioning is
      > > a real phenomenon no matter how much you work out. Going north
      is
      > > worse due to the altitude. If you're heading south like 90% of
      thru-
      > > hikers you can stop at Little Yosemite or the cutoff for Clouds
      Rest,