1177Re: [John Muir Trail] car shuttle for southbound trip

  • JD Schaefer
    Feb 18 4:01 AM
      Despite my geezerocity and relative trail decripitude, I've never waited
      more than 15-minutes on #395 either pre- or post- hike. Once a
      sub-100-lb snowboarder that looked like Heidi picked me up near
      Mammoth. I couldn't help but think if she were my daughter I wouldn't
      want her picking me up. Then I realized that sounded as dumb as an old
      Groucho Marx line, and enjoyed the ride.
      JD
      PS Bringing a black magic marker and then finding a piece of cardboard
      for a sign always seems to help

      Bob wrote:

      >The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
      >full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
      >who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
      >half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
      >and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
      >
      >--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>Bob,
      >>
      >>If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
      >>

      >from
      >

      >>Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
      >>Yosemite.
      >>
      >>But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
      >>

      >traveling
      >

      >>on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
      >>Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
      >>travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up

      >>Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
      >>

      >it
      >

      >>was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
      >>

      >anything
      >

      >>like that before.
      >>
      >>Good Luck!
      >>
      >>Prapanna
      >>
      >>On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
      >>

      >>>I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
      >>>

      >hike
      >

      >>>of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
      >>>

      >on 13-
      >

      >>>16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
      >>>

      >before
      >

      >>>2000-
      >>>2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

      >>>High sierra sport High sierras
      >>>
      >>>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >>>
      >>> Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      >>>

      >Service.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic