11765Re: JMT Shelter

  • Drewsome
    Jan 6, 2011
      After hiking many week long trails around the Northwest, my buddy and I decided to try the JMT.  So in 2008 we completed the trail southbound.  For me, my usual pack weight at the time was approx. 40#s, and so I decided I had better review my choices. I slimmed down many items for the trip, one being my choice of tents.  I ended up going with a Six Moons Design Lunar Solo and have loved it ever since.

      Here is a link to my website that has tons of hiking related info, and pictures from our trip.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <shop@...> wrote:

      > As usual, lots of good and varied info. As Bob I think alluded to, it is really a matter of comfort decisions both on the trail and at camp.
      > If you plan on "blasting" through in less than two weeks, then you will most likely be spending more time on the trail and less time at camp. It this case your camp time may be limited to sleep thereby eliminating any need for camp comforts (other than what you need to sleep).
      > Having hiked the JMT (and many other trips) with just a no pole bivi sack, I highly recommend getting a good forecast. If it calls for thunder showers either reconsider or plan on camping low and finding shelter.
      >
      > If you plan on a longer trip (i.e. more camp time), you may wish to go with some camp comforts including a nice bug proof, rain proof tent. Sure is nice for sitting out afternoon rains and evening bugs.
      >
      > JD
      > Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
      > www.johndittli.com
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "o0distorted0o" o0distorted0o@ wrote:
      > >
      > > What type of shelter, if any, do most people use on the trail?
      > >
      > > I was thinking of bringing a 4.5lb tent... then I realized that I could cut that weight nearly in half by getting a blue tarp and a outdoor research bug bivy from REI.
      > >
      > > So what do you use?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > CK

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic